Sunday, February 8, 2009

Educational Technology Organizations, Post #2

Department of Education Office of Educational Technology

Department of Education Office of Educational Technology (OET)
http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/os/technology/index.html

The Office of Educational Technology coordinates the U.S. Department of Education’s educational technology policies, research projects and national technology summits. Its main goal is to develop national educational technology policy and implement policy to support the goals of No Child Left Behind.

I selected this organization because I wanted to see what our federal government has to say about our subject. I have ordered a number of free resources from them in the past and was interested to see what they might offer us in this area. I noticed that this website offers a link to possible grants for technology. When I finish my coursework I plan to devote time to applying for grants for our financially-disadvantaged (poor!) school district. I also enjoyed looking through the links provided under “Federal Resources for Educational Excellence.”

EDUCAUSE

http://www.educause.edu/node/720

EDUCAUSE is a nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of information technology. It provides professional development activities, applied research, policy advocacy, teaching and learning initiatives, print and electronic publications, and much more.

I know we’ve read the article on blogging from this site, but I wanted to mention it again because of how wonderful it is. My favorite part of this website is the “7 Things You Should Know About…” series. It gives a brief and practical explanation of various Web 2.0 applications beginning in 2005. It’s a great resource to keep up-to-date about new technologies. In these overviews you can also read about ways the technology can be used to impact learning in the classroom. It’s definitely one you might consider for tagging.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just found the blog and I love that you joined the blogging world! I hope you keep it going after the class is over. I miss you guys a lot and it would be great to be able to peak in your "window" every now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for posting Cinda. The two organizations seem to be up to snuff. The first one about the Department of Education Office of Educational Technology was right up our classes alley to say the least. With the economy the way it is, I doubt any education program is getting the funding they need.

    ReplyDelete